(Rovigo, 1930 – Viterbo, 2017
Castellani was born in Castelmassa, Rovigo, in 1930. In 1952 he moved to Brussels, where he attended courses in Painting and Sculpture at the Académie des Beaux Arts and, in 1956, he graduated in Architecture at the École Nationale Supérieure de la Cambre. He returned to Milan and began working at the architect Buzzi's studio, with whom he would collaborate until 1963. In 1959 he made his first relief surface. With Piero Manzoni, who had established relationships with artists all over Europe, he took part in the experiences of the Zero group and, to show his work and make known that of other artists moved by similar tensions, he founded the magazine "Azimuth" and the homonymous gallery where, in 1960, he held his first personal exhibition. In that same year he was present with three relief surfaces at the exhibition "Monochrome Malerei" at the Städtisches Museum in Leverkusen and, with Manzoni, he exhibited at the Galleria la Tartaruga in Rome; After a moment of "exile" in Switzerland, in 1973 he returned to Italy and moved to Celleno, a small village in the province of Viterbo. The artist dies in Viterbo on December 2017.
Among his most important exhibitions: Lo spazio dell’immagine, Palazzo Trinci (Foligno, 1967); Vitalità del negativo nell’arte italiana 1960/70, Palazzo delle Esposizioni (Roma, 1970); Enrico Castellani, Galleria Lia Rumma (Napoli, 1986); Enrico Castellani, Galleria Lia Rumma (Milano 1999) e Galleria Civica di Arte Moderna (Trento, 1999); Enrico Castellani, Fondazione Prada (Milano, 2001); Enrico Castellani, opere su carta, Matteo Lampertico Arte Antica e Moderna (Milano, 2015).
Enrico Castellani, Senza Titolo, 1978
cm 100 x 70